Saturday, February 25, 2012

Bagels, Ice Cream, Omelettes & Dumpling Soup!

So. I've been holding out on you. I've been losing sleep over blogging this for weeks now. Sorry.. But here it is anyway. Finally.
I've at least been doing some cooking in this time off... Well a little bit.
We've got bagels (Serrano, garlic & herb, and onion); vanilla ice cream; broccoli mushroom omlette; and vegetable dumpling soup.
Are you ready for an overload of goodness?

Wheat Bagels:

I looked around everywhere for some more bagel recipes. I've made them about three times now and I'm trying to get perfect bagels. They've all been delicious don't get me wrong, but I like to explore. We also have been topping our bagels in the past. This time we went a different route; stuffed. We gathered our usual go-to bagel toppers; a Serrano pepper; garlic; and onion. I must say I was once again pleasantly surprised with these. They were super dense though, thanks to the wheat flour. I think that going half and half with the wheat and the white flour is going to be our next adventure. Anyway. Here it is.

Ingredients:

~ 4 c. flour (Wheat, white, whatever. We used wheat)
2 1/4 tsp. yeast
1/2 c. warm water (I loved the tip that was given on Heavenly Homemakers blog. If it hurts your finger it's too hot for the yeast.)
~3 tbs. honey
1 tsp. salt
1 diced Serrano pepper
~ 1 tbs. minced garlic
~ 1/4 c. diced onion
~ 1 tsp. dried basil

Step One: Stir together 2 c. flour, yeast, and salt. Then add in water and honey.
Step Two: Add in remaining flour, kneading and adding more flour as needed to create a smooth dough ball.


Step Three: Let your dough rest and rise for about 10-15 minutes.
Step Four: Divide dough into twelve equal parts.
Step Five: Fold in each different ingredient to bagels (we did four of each kind). You want to make sure that it gets mixed in evenly.
Step Six: Roll into balls and stick your finger through the middle. Stretch about two inches wide. *Start boiling a pot of water*


Step Seven: Let them rise a little more. I put mine into the warm oven (I preheated to the lowest temp. and put the bagels in after I turned it off and let it cool a bit). Just about 15 minutes was perfect. I recommend flipping them while they are in there so they are fluffy on both sides (I didn't do this so one side had my finger prints).


Step Eight: Set water to a simmer. Sprinkle some salt into the boiling water and add in bagels (I did three at a time). Let them boil on each side for the better half of five minutes. *Start preheating oven to 350*


Step Nine: Put boiled bagels onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 25 minutes (I'd give them a flip about halfway through).




Take out and enjoy in every way possible. I saw these bagels paired with multiple different things over the last few days. Including; Serrano, cream cheese, and strawberry jelly; Serrano, cream cheese, and summer sausage; and multiple egg, cheese, cream cheese bagels. I love bagel sandwiches. In kind of a bad way. They are incredibly tasty though and I just can't resist. Start making some. Now.

When you're done with those wonderful bagels get started on some ice cream. Because everyone loves ice cream.

This time I went with vanilla. Of course it was magnificent because you can't go wrong with vanilla.

Vanilla Ice Cream:

Ingredients:

1 pint half and half
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
~4 tsp. vanilla (you can add some more if you want)
3/4 c. sugar
pinch of salt

Step One: Mix all of the ingredients; making sure that the sugar dissolves completely.


Step Two: Cover and place in the freezer.

Step Three: Come back about every 30 minutes and mix the ice cream really well. I used a whisk. Do this about three or four times (You'll know when it's ready, it's ice cream not rocket science).


All you have to do is cover this back up and throw in the freezer until it's all gone. It saves pretty well (especially if you stirred it a lot). You could always out it into another container too. We just kept it in the bowl. Whatever floats your boat.

Next, here is a little omelette I whipped up for dinner. Nothing special, but it was quick, easy and delicious.



 Broccoli Mushroom & Cheese Omelette:

Ingredients:

~ 2 tsp. oil
~ 3 mushrooms (sliced)
~ 1/4 c. broccoli
~ 1 tsp. minced garlic
2 eggs (you can use more or less)
~ 3 tbs. milk
A few slices of cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Step One: Put mushrooms into a pan with oil and heat on about medium. Cook the mushrooms on each side for a minute or two.


Step Two: Mix in broccoli, eggs, milk, garlic, salt and pepper.


Step Three: Let cook for a few minutes. I slide my spatula along the sides to let the juices from the top fill the gap and cook. I do this until there isn't really any juice left on top.

Step Four: Now here is where things get serious. Flipping time. I always get a little nervous, but to my surprise I've had good luck the last few tries. I recommend sliding the spatula around the sides and then trying the flip it. If you have a well greased pan it usually works perfectly (I even managed a throwing flip one time!).


Step Four: Add some cheese slices and fold in half.




Now you can add whatever else you want too (or you could throw it in the middle before you fold). Maybe some hot sauce, ketchup, whatever. It's delicious any way you eat it.


Ok. Now, last but certainly not least.

Vegetable Dumpling Soup:


Ingredients:

1 bag of frozen vegetables (whatever sounds good; we used the Fiesta bag this time)
1 onion, chopped
2 cans vegetable broth (or chicken) [we actually used veggie bouillon cubes this time]
Bisquick- for dumplings (I think you need milk and maybe an egg for this too I don't remember; it says it on the box)
salt and pepper to taste.


Step One:  Place chopped onion in a pan with oil and cook. Let them get translucent, at least mostly.


Step Two: Put your broth (or bouillon cubes and water) into the crock pot. Set to LOW.

Step Three: Mix in veggies and cooked onion.


Step Four: After a few hours of cooking (about four) it's time to get the dumplings going. So mix together some Bisquick or whatever it is you use for dumplings. I like Bisquick, it's quick, easy and yummy. We also use the heart smart Bisquick. You should too. P.S. the box has a dumpling recipe don't worry.

Step Five: Drop dumpling mix into the crock pot (like tablespoons full). Turn to HIGH for an hour.



Step Six: Serve; salt and pepper to taste. You could also add cheese... whatever you want. It's all scrumptious.





MMMMMMMMMMMMM. Yuuuuuuummmmmmm. I loooooooove this soup. I love soup. I love dumplings. I love dumpling soup. I really like how much you can switch this up. Like I said we used a Fiesta bag of mixed frozen veggies. It had liiiiike beans, broccoli, grean beans, who knows whatelse it was delicious. I kind of think that we added that can of corn now that I think about it... You can do that too. We've made this a few times and the other time we used a different veggie mix. It was a little more practical and didn't sound as crazy as this. They were both epically delcious though. You know you want some. You can add in meat. Like chicken... That's what the little recipe in my crock pot cookbook called for. But we went the vegetarian route. Because I like to cook with my roommate and eat meals together. And I don't mind skipping out on my meats every once and awhile. I think that if you add meat you should cook it first that way you don't have to cook this all day long. Because the faster the better.


On another note. I'm beyond pumped that I finally finished this post. I'm sorry I've been such a d-bag and haven't been posting. Like I said, I procrastinated. But whatever. Here it is. I hope you enjoy. I have another post ready to be made as well. Another pizza :) get excited. It's another crazy one too. I'll get to typing soon. But my fingers are burning and I need to spend my Saturday away from the computer ;)
Also, sorry that I keep changing the formatting of the posts. I can't decide how I like it (looks and ease of making). Anywho. Get to cooking and eating these wonderful creations.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Questions? I would be more than happy to answer them!