Sunday, January 29, 2012

Avocado Pasta & Peanut Butter Nutella Bars

So I've been holding out on you with this pasta recipe. I made it the other night and the pictures just don't to it justice. I really wanted to make it again and get some better pictures before unleashing it on you, but I just couldn't wait. So bare with me on my pictures taken with my phone in my horribly lit kitchen.
Alright. So I stumbled upon the pasta recipe awhile back and thought it sounded deeeeelish. Here's the link I found, Creamy Avocado Shells, looks/sounds delicious right? We made this the other night but used whole wheat spaghetti noodles instead (and I'm not going to lie; we did break up two lasagna noodles just to make sure we had enough). I also didn't take the time to do any lemon zesting. It was already reeeeaaaally lemon-y.
And as for the Peanut Butter Nutella Bars, I'm really craving sweets right now and we had some cornflakes to get rid of.
So here we go....

Avocado Pasta

Ingredients:
2 avocados
1 lemon
3 cloves garlic
1/2 c. fresh basil
4 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
noodles (we just used the rest of the spaghetti noodles we had, it was enough for 3 plus...) **the recipe I looked at wanted 4 servings of shell pasta
salt & pepper to taste

Step One: Add your pasta of choice to a boiling pot of water. Drain when cooked.


Step Two: Start blending your garlic cloves, olive oil, and lemon juice (I don't have a food processor so I used my blender).
Step Three: Add the avocados and basil and blend until smooth. 


Step Four: Mix the sauce and cooked pasta together.


Step Five: Salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy. 

Like I said, these pictures don't do it justice it's sooooo green (you'll see). This is soooooo delicious. I didn't really think that it would be so good. I love avocados, but I thought that this seemed too simple. I think that we used just a little too much lemon juice (it was still really good though). The recipe said to add more lemon juice if you had leftovers so they wouldn't brown. We had leftovers but no more lemon juice, but it wasn't needed. It's still looking green and delicious in the fridge as we speak... or type. Either way I recommend you try this. It's another healthy, yummy dinner. Who would have thought all these things would be so good for you? Well, let's not speak too soon...

Peanut Butter Nutella Bars

Ingredients:
1/4 c. butter (margarine, whatever it is you use. I don't even know what we have honestly)
1/2 c. milk
2 c. sugar
1 c. peanut butter
1 tbs. Nutella (you can use more or none, I just threw a dab in for good measure)
1 tsp. vanilla
~3 c. cornflakes (we needed to get rid of them... you could use anything really oatmeal, rice crispies, etc.)

Step One: Mix butter, milk, and sugar in a pan; bring to a boil on medium heat.



Step Two: Let boil for about a minute or so.
Step Three: Remove from heat, and mix in peanut butter and Nutella until melted.


Step Four: Mix in cornflakes or whatever variation you would like.



Step Five: Pour into a greased dish or drop on a greased pan for cookies (that's what I planned to do first, but I went with the bars).
Step Six: Let set (don't worry it doesn't take long).
Enjoy!




So the Peanut Butter Bars taste sooooooooo good. I'm not sure if it was because our cornflakes were really old or what, but these were really chewy. Still delicious. But chewy. The cornflakes didn't have the crunch I would have expected. I also never tested them beforehand, so who knows. Anyway, like I said you can try cornflakes, oatmeal or any other type or cereal you'd like. Also, I'd add some more Nutella. We didn't really have much I just wanted to throw a little in. Needless to say these satisfied my cravings and more. You'd better test these both out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! Questions? I would be more than happy to answer them!